I was a sitting duck!!
Before Christmas, I decided it was time I took my home security more seriously.
Premier Locksmiths came to do a security assessment on my house, it took about 30 minutes, it was 30 minutes well spent and it was free!
I have a 3 bedroom end of terrace house in a cul-de-sac, I love it – it’s my family home.
After spending time with the locksmith, I saw my home in a completely different light – it was an eye-opening experience. I was very vulnerable.
There were issues around my home that I was aware of but I put it to the back of my mind to save money.
I’m so glad that I invited an expert into our home, this is what the locksmith found:
- Loose front door handle – easily breakable
- Door chain out of alignment – it didn’t work properly
- If the front door isn’t locked, anyone can walk in and out of the house at any time
- The back door had a dodgy handle and the door would stick so badly that I couldn’t open it sometimes
- My conservatory door wasn’t hanging properly so it didn’t ever lock
- The back gate was misaligned so the bolt didn’t work and there was no padlock
- The back gate is low so someone could easily climb over it
- My garden is surrounded by a brick wall that is next to a path and road. The wall is easily scalable
- My key was always left in the side garage door – it was rusty!
- My garage door is broken
The outcome from the 30 minute visit was the agreement that I actually was a sitting duck and my home wasn’t secure.
For the price of a meal and a night out with the girls, my house is a lot more secure. That 30 minutes with the locksmith could have potentially saved me from a break in.
These are the suggestions that were made to me and the jobs done. They might be something that you should consider too.
- Put trellis above my gate to make it more difficult to climb over
- Use a padlock on the side gate
- Install outside security lighting that comes on if someone tries to climb over the wall
- Install a security camera, they are a very affordable – see some examples here
- Lock my side garage door and take the key out of the door!
- Replace my garage door lock, they aren’t very expensive – take a look
- Lock the bolt that is already installed on the garage door
- Put door jammers on my conservatory doors – what do they look like?
- Install a trigger alarm so if someone does break in through one of your doors or windows it will set off the alarm – find out more
- Install a house alarm
- Install a house alarm box on the outside of the house
- Put door jammers on the front door
And the list goes on…
There is so much you can do to protect your home. I don’t feel the need for a panic room but that film with Jodie Foster was brilliant – it’s a must see!
The security jobs that were done around my house:
- Realigned my conservatory door so I could shut it and lock it
- Fixed my back door and installed door jammers
- Installed a new lock barrel in my front door and fixed the handle
- Realigned my door chain so it worked properly
- Locked the garage at the front and side
- Padlocked the side gate
The job was a job very well done!
We sometimes take things for granted like our families, homes and belongings. It doesn’t need to cost a lot of money to make your home more secure.
Katy – Bedfordshire.
Join us on Facebook so you don’t miss out on our regular blog articles and special offers.